Happy new year guys! All is well on my end. I hope the same goes for you. Last year with the help of Goodreads I set a goal to read thirty books. The covers of all the books I read in 2017 are pictured above. I use my Goodreads account to read book reviews, rate books and track how well I’m doing with my reading goals.
According to Goodreads the longest book I read last year was The Angel’s Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón which had 522 pages. The book I gave the highest rating of 5 stars was A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. I gave the following books four stars:
- The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafón ( Reviewed here)
- The Fire Next Time- James Baldwin
- Somewhere Towards the End- Diana Athill
- Eleanor & Park- Rainbow Rowell
- The Story of a Brief Marriage – Anuk Arudpragasam (Reviewed here)
- The Mothers- Brit Bennett (Reviewed here)
- Lincoln in the Bardo- George Saunders (This was the 2017 Man Booker prize winner!)
- Celine – Peter Heller (Reviewed here)
- City of Saints and Thieves- Natalie C. Anderson ( Reviewed here )
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them J.K. Rowling
The books I liked the least were The Fig Eater by Jody Shields and The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. I know The Old Man and the Sea is considered a classic but it just didn’t do it for me. Maybe I’ll read it again later in life and be moved profoundly. Or maybe not.
My goal this year is to read 45 books(eek!) and include some non-fiction authors. I very rarely read non-fiction but I enjoyed the memoir Somewhere Toward the End by Diana Athill last year.
What are your reading goals for 2018?
30 is a lot. Now that I have reserved my Fridays for reading only, (no social distractions) I think I can do 15 books this year. Good luck to you, my friend!
I was able to read 38 last year so I'm looking forward to see how many I can read this year 🙂
Wow! Congrats on reading and reviewing so many! As usual you inspire me. I have a few books here that I would also like to read. I like that you've included your least liked – the Fig eater does sound interesting but maybe not now lol :)I think 5 books is a number I'd be happy with 🙂
Thank you! Keep me posted on how you do this year.